Cell Phones for Soldiers Mission:Cell Phones for Soldiers Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing cost-free communication services to active-duty military members and veterans.
Cell Phones for Soldiers Fast Facts:Since 2004, Cell Phones for Soldiers...
- Have provided more than 210 million minutes of free talk time
- Mails approximately 3,200 calling cards each week
- Recycled more than 11.3 million cell phones, reducing the impact on landfills
- July 2012 launched Helping Heroes Home, to provide emergency funds for returning veterans to alleviate communication challenges as well as physical, emotional and assimilation hardships.
- Since July 2012, Helping Heroes Home has assisted more than 2,500 veterans and their families with emergency funding.
- Has remained a family-run, nonprofit organization operated almost exclusively by Bob, Gail, Brittany, Robbie and Courtney Bergquist.
HistorySince its inception in 2004, Cell Phones for Soldiers has worked to provide free communication services to active-duty military members and veterans. For a decade, the charity's longstanding calling card program, Minutes That Matter has provided servicemen and women with an estimated 3 million prepaid calling cards, equating to more than 210 million minutes of FREE talk time.
Cell Phones for Soldiers fuels it's mission through generous monetary contributions and the recycling of donated mobile phones. Newer or gently-used mobile phones from all service providers are accepted. Each $5 contribution, or donated device valued at $5, will provide troops with 2.5 hours of FREE talk time.
Cell Phones for Soldiers was founded by Robbie and Brittany Bergquist of Norwell, Mass., at the ages of 12 and 13. The organization has prevented more than 11.3 million cell phones from ending up in landfills.
"Cell Phones for Soldiers started as a small way to show our family's appreciation for the men and women who have sacrificed the day-to-day contact with their own families to serve in the U.S. armed forces," says charity President, Bob Bergquist. "Over the past few years, we have been overwhelmed by the generosity of others. But, we have also seen the need to support our troops continue to grow as more troops are sent overseas for longer assignments."
In July 2012, the Bergquist family launched a new program, Helping Heroes Home, which provides emergency funds for returning veterans to alleviate communication challenges as well as physical, emotional and assimilation hardships.
"Since starting Cell Phones for Soldiers, we've wanted to create a program that would allow us to serve veterans here at home," said Brittany Bergquist. 'Helping Heroes Home' is that solution. It allows us to quickly amend a difficult situation and restore some peace of mind and support."
View the awards and recognition Cell Phones for Soldiers has received »